Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Article 6 Blog

I found this article to be very interesting. Obviously it’s a very controversial topic and many people have very different views on it. The first thing I thought of after reading the article was that if scientist really do come up with a way to slow aging, won't everyone start to take advantage of it? Everyone whether they will admit it or not is scared of dying, so if anyone could get the opportunity to live longer I truly believe they would take advantage of it; maybe take it too far. And to be honest that really scares me because I think slowing down the aging process could cause a lot of problems to arise. Some of the problems that concern me are overpopulation, more disease and economic problems. With people living longer lives these are all things we need to be concerned about. So would the pro's of slowing down aging and allowing people to live longer lives really out weight the con's? Which leads into another thought I have, who really would want to live for a century or longer? We all know that as we get older we loose a lot of the abilities that we have when we are younger. So we would be living with worse hearing and eye sight and then there’s the likelihood of developing some other type of medical problem or disease. I guess my concern with it is would our quality of life be good enough to be living for over a 100 years? I also think it’s pretty crazy that you can buy resveratrol tablets over the counter because they still do not have a proven value in humans and they are not manufactured under the Food and Drug Administration. I just think that there are enough drugs out there that are probably causing more problems then doing any good and this drug could be doing the same thing. I also feel like all the time that researchers have spent trying to figure a way to slow down aging could be spent towards finding a cure for cancer or some other disease that is killing millions of people everyday. I can definitely see why people want to slow down aging and live longer lives but at the same time there are more important things to find cures to. The money and time spent trying to find a way to slow down aging should be spent on more important diseases and disorders that are killing people by the millions. To sum this all up I personally would not want to live to be over 100 because when your 100 you can’t do the things that you really enjoyed doing when you were young; you really can’t enjoy the simple pleasures that bring you the most joy. I also don't want to out live all of my friends and relatives. Yes I would be living a long life but without the people I care most about it wouldn't be worth living. I think slowing down aging is something to look into but I don’t think its something I find to be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment